Maternity Underwear: Do You Really Need Them?
There are a lot of maternity underwear products that are being introduced in the market every other day and it gets confusing for a new-mother to understand the various options available and how to choose the best. Here is everything you need to know about maternity underwear to make an informed choice.
WHAT IS MATERNITY UNDERWEAR?
Maternity underwear consists of specially designed inner wear options for women to wear during and after pregnancy; like, maternity panties and bras. They support the body through the pregnancy phase and offer comfort.
WHY DO YOU NEED SPECIAL INNER WEAR FOR PREGNANCY?
Your body undergoes lots of changes, especially physically, like, growing belly and breasts, and to feel comfortable through this phase, you can switch to maternity inner wear. Maternity panties and bras are stretchable and made of soft, comfortable fabric to support pregnancy. After pregnancy, nursing bras support breastfeeding by helping the mother in feeding the child with more ease.
TYPES OF MATERNITY PANTIES
There are basically two kinds of maternity panties –
- High Waist-ed Maternity Panties – Often referred to as ‘Grandma Panties’, they are high waist-ed and are designed to cover and fit your growing belly.
- Low Waist-ed Maternity Panties – Such panties are similar to regular bikini style panties and don’t cover your belly instead lie lower on your waist.
Morph Maternity has introduced a one of a kind product for to-be-mothers called Maternity Hygiene Panties which has a specially treated health strip on the crotch area and inhibits growth of infection causing bacteria, thus, preventing urinary infections. Made to fit the growing belly, it also has anti-odour properties. You can buy it here.
TYPES OF MATERNITY BRAS
Sensitivity increases in the breasts during pregnancy; they become swollen and tender. Wearing maternity bras make you feel comfortable; there are two kinds available, that is –
- Underwire Maternity Bras – Underwire bras offer support the breasts, however, don’t use a bra with a rigid underwire as it could affect blood and milk flow.
- Without Wire Maternity Bras – Bras without wire are designed to provide relief to the breasts from sensitivity and they fit comfortably on growing breasts.
Your breasts will grow a few cup sizes over the months to prepare for feeding the child, hence, while buying maternity wear keep the sizing and flexibility of material in mind.
TYPES OF NURSING BRAS
The main aim of nursing bras is to provide support to breastfeed the child by easing opening of the bras so that you don’t have to remove the entire garment every time. There are various kinds of nursing bras, like –
- Drop Cup Bras – Most popular choice in women, this bra offers support of a regular bra but have a clasp to let the cup down when you need to breastfeed your baby.
- Sleep Bras – These are made from soft fabric and usually don’t have any wires so that you can sleep comfortably and pull down the side if you have to feed the baby.
Morph Maternity has made available a speciality bra called leak-proof bra which has cups designed with 100% leak-proof properties so that you don’t have to face any embarrassing situation in public. Its soft and breathable fabric makes you feel at ease; you can buy it here.
Now, that you know all you need to know about maternity underwear, you can make an informed choice!