Tips To Stay Safe From Covid-19 During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a special time in a woman's life, filled with excitement and anticipation. However, the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has made it a challenging time as well, with concerns about how to stay safe and healthy during pregnancy. While much is still unknown about the effects of Covid-19 on pregnancy, there are steps that pregnant women can take to protect themselves and their unborn child. In this blog, we'll provide tips on how to stay safe from Covid-19 during pregnancy, so you can focus on enjoying this special time in your life with peace of mind.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered virus from the family of viruses called coronavirus. It first started in a wet market in Wuhan, China and the first case was reported in December 2019. Within a few months, this virus spread on a global scale affecting most countries and becoming a global pandemic.
Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus experience mild to moderate respiratory illness. Older people, pregnant women and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
The best way to prevent it is to be well-informed about the virus and how it spreads. You can protect yourself and others by washing your hands or using an alcohol-based rub frequently and not touching your face.
The virus primarily spreads through droplets of saliva from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you always wear a face mask when interacting with others.
Steps To Take Care If One Is Pregnant Amid The Coronavirus Pandemic
Here are some actions you can take to prevent getting infected during pregnancy. These steps are laid out by the World Health Organization.
- Wash your hands frequently. Hand hygiene can really protect you from Covid-19 exposure.
- Practice social distancing. Always maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others when you are in a public place. Avoid contact with others as much as possible.
- Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throw the tissue in the dustbin. Wash your hands right after.
- Do not ignore any respiratory problems. If you develop a cough, feel uncomfortable breathing or have a fever, do not ignore it. Call your doctor and discuss your symptoms. It is better to act fast than last.
- Avoid going out as much as possible and avoid physical interaction with people. Get help to run chores. If you have a job, inform your employer of your pregnancy and choose Work From Home. Even if you must step up, follow social distancing and always wear a mask and avoid touching surfaces.
- As much as possible, consider virtual consultations with your gynecologist to reduce spending time in the doctor’s waiting room or in the hospital.
- Avoid stress. Eat healthily and sleep well. Pick up the phone and call your friends and family to stay in good spirits. All these are immunity boosters that will help you stay safe.
While pregnancy is a special time, the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has made it challenging. However, pregnant women can take steps to protect themselves and their unborn children by following the guidelines laid out by the World Health Organization. These steps include practicing good hand hygiene, social distancing, using a tissue when coughing or sneezing, seeking medical attention if experiencing respiratory problems and avoiding stress. By taking these precautions, pregnant women can stay safe from Covid-19 and enjoy this special time in their lives with peace of mind.
We at Morph Maternity, wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. You can do all your maternity & nursing wear shopping from the comfort of your home at MorphMaternity.com
Stay Home! Stay Safe!
Shop all Morph essentials including Maternity Dresses for an extra 10% off using code "COVIDFREE"