Postpartum Incontinence – How To Deal With It?
Are you suffering from urine leaks after the baby? If yes, then you might be suffering from incontinence after childbirth, referred to as post-partum urinary incontinence, which means accidental urine leaks after baby or loss of bladder control; several women suffer from post-partum incontinence due to one of the following reasons –
- Women who have delivered vaginally are affected because the vaginal and pelvic floor muscles lose strength and control.
- Women who undergo childbirth with some sort of intervention (like forceps) are used might suffer from incontinence due to injury of pelvic muscles and nerves.
Certain conditions, like daily habits, make you more prone to suffering from incontinence for several years post-delivery; like smoking, obesity, gestational diabetes and previous childbirths among other reasons. Whatever the condition, if you are suffering from post-partum urinary incontinence then don’t feel ashamed or shy away from seeking help. Take immediate steps to get your life under control and understand that it is completely possible.
Talk To Doctors, Seek Medical Attention
Don’t feel ashamed of your situation; post-partum incontinence affects about 50% of women after delivery, regardless of whether the delivery had any complications or not. If you don’t talk about it, it might get worse and cause other problems. Leave all hesitation and approach a urologist who would help you with medicines and therapies.
Exercise To Strengthen Pelvic Muscles – Kegels Routine
There are several exercise routines, like Kegels, that help in strengthening the pelvic floor muscles and gaining control again. It consists of a set of exercises that follow repeated contraction and relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles. The best way to get started at Kegels is –
- Find the right muscle by stopping urination in between; if you are successful, that means you have found the correct muscle. Hereon you can exercise your pelvic muscles in any manner, however, it is recommended to do it lying down at first.
- Tighten your muscles for 5 seconds and then relax for 5 seconds. Repeat it several times and then slowly increase the contraction (and relaxation) time.
- Breathe freely while exercising and put all focus on your muscles; repeat 3 times a day.
Make Healthy Food And Drink Choices
Certain foods and drinks further stimulate the bladder and make the situation worse; like, alcohol, carbonated drinks and artificial sweeteners among various other items. Make healthy choices when it comes to eating and drinking until you get your life back on track. Certain women have noted that even smoking elevates the issue. Drink and eat healthy foods, switch to juices instead of consuming excess caffeine and eat raw fruits at least 2 times a day.
Switch To Incontinence Panties
Incontinence Panties provide great relief to women suffering from post-partum urinary incontinence. Incontinence Panties from Adira can help as the three layers of the garment have been made in a way to offer –
- Protection with its anti-fungal and anti-odor properties
- Soft absorbent fabric that keeps you dry and fresh all-day
- Leak-proof garment to save you from embarrassing situations
You can buy a pair of Incontinence Panties from Adira, an intimate wear brand that innovates practical products for style and comfort and start wearing them till you feel comfortable.
Postpartum urinary incontinence is a common problem for women after childbirth, caused by weak pelvic muscles or injury. Exercises like Kegels can help, as well as eating healthy and avoiding bladder-stimulating foods and drinks. Special underwear can also provide protection. It's important to remember that this is a common problem and there is no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed. Getting medical help and taking action before the problem gets worse can make the condition better and improve your life. And Specially designed incontinence panties can also provide protection against leaks.
Shop all Morph essentials including Maternity incontinence panties for an extra 10% off using code "MOMLIFE"